Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tim TMI

Recently I exchanged numbers with a gentleman friend who seemed to have a lot of potential.  Tall?  Check.  Gainfully employed?  Check.  Interesting and well-written profile?  Check.  We exchanged e-mails and then numbers, and I assumed that I was well on my way to a successful, or at least interesting, first date.

Until he called me...

First off, I should mention that phone calls make me a little nervous.  I would almost rather meet someone in person before we talk on the phone.  I find phone calls to be more awkward and forced.  If I meet a dude in person, at least I can read his reactions.  However, I have friends who swear by a phone chat before the first date, and now I know why.

My suitor, we'll call him"Tim TMI," texted me to ask if he could call me on a recent Friday night.  Since I am THE coolest girl in school, I was home, just perusing the internets, so I said sure.  I figured it would be easy enough:  Shoot the shit for a few minutes, wait for him to ask me out on a date, and then quickly find an excuse to jump off the phone.  I WISH it had been that simple.

Our first chat lasted less than a minute.  He called me and then quickly said that he had to call me right back as he was getting a call from his parents.  "Fair enough," I thought.  I could understand that.

I should have never picked up the second call.

In the next 10-minute conversation, which occurred shortly after the first, he told me the following details of his life:

  • He lives at home with his parents in Quincy.
  • His parents are both ill (sciatica for his mom; prostate cancer for his dad).
  • His parents are upside down in their mortgage.
  • His mother is "nosey."
  • He wants to be married in a year or two with kids.

All this was related in 10 MINUTES... during our FIRST REAL CONVERSATION... in the thickest Boston accent that I've ever heard, so I had to ask him to repeat everything.

Oh... and I'm pretty sure that he didn't ask me a single question about myself.

I'd guess that if I was to accept another call, I would learn his bank PIN, his social security number, and the year he lost his virginity.

Luckily, I will not be accepting that next call.

No comments:

Post a Comment